In Q1 2017, Twitter reached almost 330 million active users – some of them tweeting on a daily basis, some even many times a day. So how can you get your 140 characters through the noise?

Here are several simple tips that can help you attract the attention of your target audience and get more reach.

1. Find your voice and tone

As Kevan Lee from Buffer explains, you should learn to distinguish a voice and a tone for your brand. He says that your brand should have one voice, with many tones refining that voice. Your voice can have different tones depending on who you speak to, what kind of situation you are in or the mood of content you are spreading. Voice is a “mission statement” while tone is the “application of that mission”. A unique brand voice can really get you noticed.

2. Perfect your writing skills

It is not that hard to waffle. It is a lot harder to deliver a meaningful message in just a couple words. Different social media channels have an “engagement sweet spot” — a specific range of characters that makes a post more attractive and effective. For Twitter, the sweet spot is between 71 and 100 characters.


twitter reach blog

3. Add a call-to-action

You may not believe it, but just asking people to share something can indeed work. The three most powerful types of calls-to-action in Twitter as measured by number of retweets are “please help, please retweet and please RT”.

4. Use images

A picture is worth a thousand words. This quote may be overused, but it is nonetheless very true, especially when it comes to social media. Studies show that you should always try to use images in your tweets:

  • Infographics are liked and shared three times more than other content types.
  • Tweets with images receive 150% more retweets than those without images.
  • People generally remember only 10% of information they hear after three days pass. But, when this information is accompanied by a relevant image, people remember 65% of the information three days later.

5. Use the right hashtags

Content is king — which includes hashtags. The number of hashtags you include in a tweet matters much less than their relevance. Using them in a proper way that gets people interested in the content you are sharing is important. If you want to reach an audience by using hashtags, you should follow these best practices:

  • Never use more than three hashtags in one post.
  • Keep the hashtags short.
  • Use hashtags that are easy to remember — but don’t use generic ones.
  • Be original — don’t borrow trendy hashtags for your own use.

6. Know the right proportions

Twitter is a lot like cooking. Add too much salt or too many spices to your meal and you will ruin it. On Twitter, if you have too many promotional posts, your audience will ignore your tweets. And that’s why it’s important to find the right proportions of types of content for your audience. An ideal proportion does not exist, but there are some guidelines you can follow:

  • The 5-3-2 ratio: five posts retweeted from other accounts, three non-promotional posts from you and two promotional posts.
  • The 80/20 rule: 20% of your tweets can be promotional while the remaining 80% should not be related to your products or services.

7. Last, but not least – be human

Twitter is a digital tool, but a tweet comes from a person. You should have conversations that are just like those you have with other people. So don’t use copy-and-pasted responses, and when interacting directly, use first names. This shifts communication to a more personal level.